Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Child is Born

I love Christmas. I grew up for over 10 years as an only child, and no one else in the family had any children during that time either. Between both sides of the family and the cousins included, I was the baby for a very long time. Accordingly, Christmas quickly became associated as the time of year when I reaped a bounty of gifts. But it was also a loving time spent with family. It's always seemed like magic to me, but somehow, even still today, my father was always off work when I had those incredible 2 weeks off of school. I remember vividly playing in the snow when we had it, and the exciting drives to Houston to see my grandmothers and grandfathers. I remember one Christmas when my Nana made me 24 gifts so that I could open up something everyday before Christmas. I was very spoiled.

As I grew older, that feeling of joy and expectation began to turn into other emotions. At first there was jealousy once new babies started being born into the family, and my piece of pie began to shrink every year. But during high school those emotions started to also turn to guilt. It was very confusing. I would be excited for Christmas morn, but I would soon be overwhelmed by the generosity of my family and feel guilty. My family always did Christmas big. I would get hundreds of dollars of gifts every year. For instance, my younger brother currently possesses a Wii, Xbox 360, Nintendo 3DS and a PS3. It is an expression of love from my family, but as I witness it now it makes me feel....ashamed.

How did my perspective fall so far from the birth of Christ?

Two thousand years ago, on what should have been a night like any other night, a star illuminated the sky in Judah, and a child was born. It had been four hundred years since God had spoken to His people. I imagine those most loyal to the faith were nervous with waiting. Many others probably indifferent to it. Children grew up without their father's experiencing God, and their father's before them. They believed because it was what they were told to do; a part of their heritage. Moreover, the priests and pharisees at the time used the Faith to enhance their own status among the Jews. But on that night, a child was born to change everything.

I believe that child, named Jesus, fulfilled the prophecies of old, and was in fact the Messiah that the Jews were waiting for. He was not the one that they wanted, but the one that they needed. He did not come with a sword or from royalty, or to reclaim the land of Israel and fortify its walls, but instead to eat with outcast, heal their afflictions, and teach repentance to the proud. He shortly after was beaten, carried his own cross, and was nailed to it. Thankfully, it did not end there.

But that is another story.

Today is a celebration and remembrance of His birth (and yes, not likely to be historically accurate to the date).  Today, we rejoice that The Lord had mercy on us and lived among us as promised, and carried our sins to the cross. The Kingdom of God is at hand, and that is good news. He intercedes for us. His Spirit moves within us. We are no longer burdened by sacrifices and rituals, but the Word became flesh and now directly speaks to us. This is good news. And when I truly allow myself to reflect on this good news, I feel less ashamed. After all, my shame has already been bought by His blood.

This year I felt something different. Instead of the anticipation of gifts, I was excited to spend time with my family. I was excited to sing songs of praise to the Christ Child. And I feel no shame in that.

That is good news.

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment